Competition law, both Swedish and EU rules, constitutes both a threat and an opportunity for companies.
The threat when violating the rules can consist of competition fines of several hundred million kronor and damages, as well as contracts being declared invalid. The threat can also consist of the prevention by the Competition Authorities of a corporate merger or acquisition in progress.
The opportunities are perhaps not as obvious but is just as real. One example is the start-up company battling against the old monopoly. In this situation, competition law (used properly) can contribute to creating an even playing field. Another example is the possibility for a company which has suffered a loss as a consequence of a breach of the rules by other companies to obtain damages.
In both of these situations, in order to deal with the threat and to use the opportunity, a high degree of competition law expertise and experience is required. We can provide this. Some of our lawyers have been active in the area since the modern competition law was created in Sweden at the beginning of the 1990's. They possess a great deal of experience in applying all types of competition law rules through previous senior positions at the Swedish Competition Authority and now as advisors to companies.
We provide advice regarding both Swedish competition law as well as EU competition law and we handle all types of competition law matters. These include:
- Notification of corporate mergers and acquisitions to the Swedish Competition Authority and the EU Commission
- Assisting our clients in conjunction with actions by the Swedish Competition Authority and the EU Commission
- Counsel in proceedings regarding competition fines
- Counsel in tort actions
- Strategic advice on the basis of competition law rules
- Competition law advice in conjunction with contract negotiations
- Production of compliance programmes and
- Educating our clients' employees in competition law issues.